Menopause Discussion > Alternative Therapies

Supplements can cause problems

(1/3) > >>

Hoffgrad:
For many years I have dipped in and out of the world of supplements... vitamins, minerals, amino acids, etc etc.  I am fairly knowledgeable regarding nutrition, and I do feel that some people need various top ups from time to time.   I am a very healthy eater but I have a dodgy immune system (prefer not to elaborate on that), so I do resort to supplementation at times.  In the winter I always take vitamin D sublingual spray, and I find that I also need B12 as have malabsorption problems.   

However, I do believe wholeheartedly, that we can do harm with supplements if they are not required.

I recently bought myself some Metatone tonic.  I usually buy very good quality (Solgar) supplements but I saw this in Waitose and I remember years ago, my mother used to use this if she was feeling run down.   I thought I would give it a try.    Interestingly, after only one day,  it gave me an awful feeling of being wired.   I also noticed that my eyes looked odd.. took on a slightly yellow tinge and I looked completely drained....dry mouth too.    I don't usually suffer with anxiety at all, and so it was noticeable.   

Of course when you Google anything like this, you will invariably only see positive reviews.   I felt totally wiped out and had to go to bed early.. really unusual for me.   It was as if I had a shot of adrenaline that led to a crash afterwards.   

I was wondering if anyone else had had this with Metatone.  I notice that the main ingredient in it, is Thiamine (B1). 

Random post but was interested. 

Shadyglade:
Often it is not what is in it but the quantity.

Was the dose above recommended levels.  This can be a problem especially with B vitamins.

Also is there anything else in it that you could be allergic to.

Hoffgrad:
Hi there

Don't worry, as I said, I am pretty knowledgeable and sensible with supplements.  Yes, totally aware of safe levels.    I know that too much  of the V vitamins (or complex) can cause heightened energy, and that's really why most people take it.   

It is though the first time I had taken 'Metatone' and so I had wondered whether any other ladies had take this product and if they'd had a similar response. 

Annie0710:
I've not had Metatone but I tried green tea and my god I thought I was going to faint and throw up.  A few months later I took a green tea pill and had  exactly the same symptoms

CLKD:
Have you talked to a Pharmacist?  Is there a web-site for people with similar symptoms?

My Gran swore by a tonic called Wincanis but can't buy it now.  A small glass every day at 11.00 a.m., I still have the glass she served it in.

What's in it exactly?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version