Menopause Discussion > Alternative Therapies

Treating Migraines with Ginger

<< < (2/3) > >>

catlover68:
Thanks for this Kathleen as I'm suffering regularly with migraines/headaches and is so debilitating. I shall now go and buy some powdered ginger and give it a try. I think mine are hormonal and because I'm suffering with awful insomnia i think it triggers them off. I'm literally getting a headache 4-5 times a week. The doctor wants me to take preventative medication beta blockers but I really don't want to go down this route as I'm already on small dose of antidepressants. I'm seriously thinking of asking to be referred for a brain scan as I'm worried it might be more serious.

Thanks again xx

sheila99:
Perhaps they were so busy choking on the ginger they forgot about the migraine... (tongue firmly in cheek here, I am not a fan of ginger). I tried it for sea sickness but it made no difference to me.  :(

Hurdity:
I love ginger and like you CLKD we eat a lot of fresh ginger with garlic (eg tonight...)!

It is well known for settling the stomach - I usually keep some crystallised ginger around for this purpose (but trouble is I then keep picking at it and it has too much sugar!!!). Sometimes I just chew on some fresh root ginger.....

I looked up the study and unfortunately it was not placebo controlled and therefore not completely scientifically valid although the fact that headache severity decreased significantly in both sumatriptan and ginger groups (they didn't know which they were getting - not sure how they managed that - as it would be obvious....!) is promising. However it was only two hours after treatment..... I would want to see it done for 24 hours at least. When I last took sumatriptan the other morning - I knew I was going to develop a migraine - my symptoms disappeared never to return ie did not wake the following morning with mig nor did the symptoms come back in the eve. Would be good if that happened with ginger too! Looks like it would be worth further study.

Hurdity x

catlover68:
Just to say I tried the powdered ginger yesterday when I had a headache/migraine,wasn't a full blown one though and voila it actually worked! I'm trying not to get too excited but this could be a really positive relief for anyone suffering with migraines. Hoping it will work again as I do suffer with them regularly unfortunately🙄

CLKD:
Propranolol at 40mg gives me background early morning headaches, cutting it to 20mg at night has eased that - so it may be that the low dose anti-depressants might be causing you headaches catlover68. 

I have one today which is probably due to sleeping heavily and waking suddenly  :-\

Also being hydrated can cause headaches.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version