Menopause Discussion > Alternative Therapies

Vit D

(1/6) > >>

Countrygirl:
Was surfing the web last night as was unable to sleep, looking for answers and several times vitamin D deficiency was mentioned in exasperating pre existing conditions like anxiety, low mood and exhaustion.

I just wondered if anyone has any experience with this as my drs don't blood test for vit D x

Dierdre:
I've been taking vitamin d this winter for the first time as I noticed how well I felt this summer with all the hot sunny weather we had and also im always better on holiday abroad. Around October I started feeling low and had aching joints and after taking vitamin d for a few weeks I definitely felt an improvement. The NHS recommend we all take vit d during the winter months in the UK now, I'll take it until around April.

CLKD:
Low VitD levels caused me to get tired very quickly.  I would do 20 mins. weeding then have to sit still for about 2 hours.  Blood tests showed that my levels were low, I had begun to wonder if I had something more serious  :-\.  Appropriate capsules topped up the levels.

I think if the body is out of kilter it can affect every part of us  ::).

Your GP should do blood test for VitD.  Why wouldn't they  :-\.  It should be part of a routine blood screening.   If they do refuse, ask at your local Pharmacy to see how to get it done, sometimes Lloyds offer different tests to the public. 

Hurdity:
This is such an important vitamin not to become deficient in! As far as I understand it the NHS recommended that we should all consider taking a supplement in winter (unless this advice has changed). This is a chance to look at your lifestyle and diet and sunshine in summer and winter. For example I get a lot of sun in the summer months from when it starts to when it ends, and although I'm getting on in age (re old skin) am confident I build up enough stores to last me most of the winter. I also eat lots of fish including oily fish and vit D is contained in (added to) lots of foods. I also swig a spoonful of cod-liver oil now and again about once a week from about Nov to March ( well I've stopped now cos I went to Spain for a week and it was v sunny so have built up my stores again). The thing is it's personal to you - also dependent on your skin colour and where you live in the world in relation to this.

If you don't eat lots of vit D rich food, don't get out in the sun much and haven't taken anything like cod-liver oil etc then you are most likely to be sub-optimal now if not deficient - this is the time of year ( last week aside) when most people's levels will be at their lowest.

By the way following the regime that I do above my levels were tested a couple of years agpo on late March ( no heat wave and no trip abroad) and my levels were 90 something so I know that for me what I'm doing is right - but may not be for you :).

Hurdity x

dahliagirl:
Being low in vit D does affect your energy levels.  From what I understand, it is used in the cell to bind the thyroxine to the receptors on the endoplasmic reticulum inside the cell which is where the energy is produced.

So the symptoms will be similar to low thyroxine.

It is definitely worth taking 25ug/1000iu daily over winter.

To get the min recommeded dose from food (appx 10ug/400iu) you need the equivalent of three good meals of oily fish per week.  It is still worth eating plenty fish too for the omega 3s (a good balance of these is supposed to help the brain - not sure where that went as it was a 'thing' a few years ago - you do need it from food rather than supplements if you can and less omega 6 (chicken and sunflower oil)) and the calcium.

Toasted, mashed sardines on toasted muffins is nice and you can make it extra good by using wholemeal muffins.

I think I may have mentioned Pilchard Curry before - it is very cheap but a bit of an acquired taste. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version