Menopause Discussion > Alternative Therapies

Adrenal Fatigue & Peri/Meno

<< < (2/12) > >>

Focus:
Hello

I've dealt with insomnia for 7 years, after developing PTSD in 2007.

I listen to a 'guided meditation sleep' on YouTube whenever I wake up in the middle of the night now. I like Jason Stephenson and Michael Sealy.

If I'm with my fiancé, I'll just listen to it with my headphones so I don't wake him up.

I only slept 4 hours a night for 7 years (sometimes down to 3 or 2 hours). It was pretty much totally better before this menopause **** started. Insomnia back with a vengeance now, but the guided meditations totally help me get back to sleep.

Hurdity:
This whole thing about "adrenal fatigue" is a bit strange anyway. It was a term dreamt up in US I think where the health-care system is so different and there are so many practiotioners offering their services and countless remedies and supplements that people are persuaded that they need. Fortunately this does not happen so much here. The idea that an organ is "fatigued" is not biologically sound I would say! I mean do we talk about thyroid fatigue for those with a less than optimal functioning thyroid?  I'm not sure whether there is a spectrum of function for the adrenal gland similar to the thyroid - apart from the extremes which are recognised diseases ( like Cushing's and Addison's) - I don't know enough about it. As with everything though -  a focus on a good diet and healthy lifestyle (exercise, body weight, sleep, reduce stress) and aiming for no deficiencies in vitamins and minerals mainly through diet - should be a priority for women approaching menopause and for the rest of life - rather than a buying and taking a whole load of supplements and remedies that are on the market....one or two selected ones if necessary perhaps but diet (and food preparation) is the key to everything I would say!

Sounds like you know already what is good for your body BlueButterfly! Excess sugar and carbs affect the whole of the body's balance and blood sugar regulation has an enormous impact on how we feel. A healthy diet doesn't have to be boring but curbing the sugar (and alcohol) intake is right up there for helping the body function optimally!

My tip is - I don't deny myself the yummy goody treats but limit them to tiny pieces eg a small square of dark choc or two, or a small choccy biscuit now and again if I craveit. Also not to keep them in the house (tricky if you have young children though!) - as too much of a temptation - I was just the same over Christmas - couldn't stop myself!!!

Taking plenty of physical exercise throughout the day (if you can) may help you with sleep, and the obvious ones like reducing caffeine...

Hurdity x

BlueButterfly:
Hurdity,
I actually asked my Dr about the adrenal fatigue thing. His thoughts were that the medical community doesn't know everything and it's still learning. It might turn out to be something recognized one day. I like him. I was never fobbed off as just being anxious while telling how I feel and the dozens of visits. He always took me seriously and recognized that something was going on, even if the blood tests for everything wasn't showing it.

Our thyroid can be in "Normal range" but still not functioning optimally. We can have symptoms and need treatment for thyroid issues while "normal". More and more that's being recognized. I know there are some adrenal problems that are medically recognize but these are very extreme. Our bodies don't just get there overnight either. I think there might be "optimal" function with them as well and we start to show signs that it's time to do something before we reach the extremes of medically recognized adrenal problems.

I know it's an interesting theory so that's why I wanted to bring the discussion to the alternative section, since I know that's the only place it is recognized right now.

I don't deny the treats either. It's just...not right...but yes, I'm not good with the temptation either. If it's there, I will eat.  ;D

Focus,
thank you. I need the reminder to use my guided meditation. I've used it to fall asleep initially but not after waking in the middle of the night. I wish I could do it without the earphones tho. Hubby doesn't sleep well with noise and I used to fall asleep to music. I need something for my mind to focus on so it doesn't run circles all night. Sometimes I want to be mean and just say "too bad, get used to it" but I don't. I sometimes wonder about separate rooms to sleep.

Shadyglade:
My doctors surgery definitely recognises and treats it.

BlueButterfly:
Shadyglade,

Have you gotten any diet/nutrition tips from your doctors regarding adrenal fatigue? I know you mentioned your son does deal with it and using diet and lifestyle changes. I'm just curious what a doctor that actually recognizes it as a problem would recommend. I've considered going to an alternative doctor here but I just don't have the funds.  :( So I just read everything I can on it and do my best.
Really the reason I wanted to start this...it seems there are quite a few of us that might be dealing with this and there is so much information to take in out there, it can be hard to keep it all straight.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version