Menopause Discussion > Alternative Therapies

St John's Wort and Black Cohosh tablets (Holland & Barrett and Menomood)

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sparrow:
Well he would say that wouldn't he.

Women that can't or don't want to take HRT are entitled to take alternative if they wish.  Being adults they can weigh up the risks just as with anything else, including prescription medicines. This website, (not the forum) has a section on alternatives.

Being someone who has never taken HRT I would not presume to comment on it. Does that consultant expect all women to be on HRT?

No thanks.

NRGEE:
Hi Shadyglade
Sorry- I didn't wish to offend anyone taking alternative supplements.
I guess the Dr could be bias towards HRT
Some women as you say - don't want to take it, or can't take it due to medical history.
I think it is however important to note that some can affect the liver.
I have just started HRT. If I wasn't able to take it for medical reasons- I suppose I would have tried alternative treatments.
The Dr concerned said that they had a 40% placebo affect. I am going to read up on this website about it- so I can get a more balanced view.
Please accept my apologies if my earlier comment upset you/made you angy

NRGEE:
Being new to this website and this forum topic I perhaps rather stupidly posted what a consultant told me- and took what she said as gospel.
I now realise that many members benefit from alternative therapies.
I hope that those that do- continue to do so if they find them of use.
apologies if I have caused any anger over my last post.

AgathaC:
I wouldn't worry, NRGEE.
Lots of us take “alternative” supplements/vitamins/remedies, instead of or even together with HRT.   I will try anything “natural” if there's a chance it might give me some relief. In fact, I am a dream customer for Holland and Barrett!!
Shadyglade - what is your current regimen?  So that I can compare it with mine. You are always knowledgeable in this area xxx

Hurdity:
NRGEE - please do not apologise for putting your comments nor for reporting what your consultant told you. This is very helpful - many members report back from consultants and it adds to our knowledge in this area. The current medical recommendations for taking HRT to treat menopause is evidence based rather than involving personal opinion or bias. It is well known and including amongst consultants that there are contra-indications to HRT - ie certain medical conditions for which HRT is not recommended - and in these women there are alternative treatments available. Most of these which are proven to have some effect are prescription meds (eg anti-depressants). There are women who don't wish to take HRT and who want to try herbal or similar treatments - which was the subject of this thread - and current recommendations are that there is little compelling evidence that these work beyond placebo (which is powerful but will not replace oestrogen) to any great extent. Lifestyle measureas and talking therapies are recommended for all women as they enter this stage in their lives - to improve general health as well as experience of menopausal symptoms.

Hurdity x

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version