Menopause Discussion > Alternative Therapies

future problems from HRT that are not made clear to patients

<< < (4/7) > >>

CLKD:
Come in Eliza H >wave<

Rustysmum:
Shadyglade that is an excellent point. For me one of the main reasons I have always been reluctant to go the HRT route is what would happen when I come off. The first gynaecologist I went to said that I would have all the same symptoms as menopause is basically your body trying to adapt to the reduction of hormones which is exactly what would happen when you stop the HRT. Some stories from ladies who have actually been through this process would , I agree, be very helpful. Being quite old now for starting HRT (57) my body got a huge shock when trying the full dose of the Oestrogel and testosterone and I felt dreadful. My Oestrogen was so low it was undetectable in the testing and I feel it was too much to start straight away on three pumps. This seemed to show me that my body was already part way through the process and that I would be back to square one if I did get my body to adjust to the high levels of HRT and then withdraw again at a later date. I know for many that HRT has been amazing and therefore the decision to continue is an easy one. I have tried four kinds of various types and not been so lucky.

dangermouse:
I suspect for some women it's getting through the body's adaption period, which then creates a new balance once you're there, and for others their oestrogen levels balance out too low so they feel they need to add more to top up to be at the same level as the first group.

The pill or HRT (if your hormones aren't too volatile) can also sustain you better through the early adaption phase. Many women have reported that stopping their HRT later means that their hormones will immediately fall rather than surge about for a few more years, as it may take another 10 years or more after periods stop for the oestrogen to settle.

Wilks:
This is an interesting discussion. As the menopause affects everyone differently, each of us has to find what helps for us. However, for me, HRT isn't about getting through a few years of hot flushes and mood swings. The problems caused by lack of oestrogen are permanent. I'm 49 with a family and a full-time job, a lifetime of keeping fit and eating healthily. I am not ready to accept joint pain, vaginal atrophy, brain fog, cystitis, loss of libido, exhaustion, brittle bones, and depression for the rest of my life, and I will fight every step of the way to have a decent quality of life for as long as I can. For me, that means HRT.

Dancinggirl:
Wilks - you have summed it up perfectly. HRT isn't right for everyone but for so many it does give quality of life. As, when or if one stops HRT, like so many things, how one feels will vary - some crash, some have a bit of trouble for a while and for others (like me, after 25 years of HRT) the benefits of HRT were being outweighed by the side effects.
Most treatments have side effects and consequences  - I have developed awful digestive problems as a result of PPI drugs and these are dished out routinely by GPs and can even be bought over the counter - nobody tells you the awful problems one gets when trying to come off these PPIs!!??
WE have choices but we need to be informed so we make the right choices.  I want to be treated with respect and understanding by my doctors and have full information.  DG x

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version