Menopause Discussion > Alternative Therapies

Ketogenic diet

(1/6) > >>

dangermouse:
Has anyone here tried a ketogenic diet?

I've been told it's very effective for all sorts of dis-ease in the body including hormonal imbalance and migraines.

I'm only on Day 5 but the adrenaline surges seem to have calmed down and I feel more relaxed in myself. Early days of course though.

I used to do intermittent fasting about 20 years ago and I did feel good over that period of time and, although it wasn't ketogenic in terms of carb quantities, the fasting kept my blood sugar level and insulin down and I could literally taste the fat being burned.

Was just interested if anyone else here had tried a ketone producing diet?

Hurdity:
Hi there dangermouse

I haven't tried it as such - as I don't tend to do any of these diets with names but just follow general priniciples - although I have been on a pretty low carb diet. Mine was for weight loss and suggested by my son who is into muscle building and weights and thought I was eating too many carbs ( even though they were all healthy!). Any low-ish carb diet does have the fantastic benefit of regulating blood sugar levels as you have found which is recommended for those who suffer severe pms and any hormonal fluctuations because of the effects of oestrogen and progesterone on blood sugar metabolism - so I can imagine is also good for peri-menopause too. Not sure about it being an alternative to HRT when peri-menopause proper kicks in though, but a good start for feeling better and less dizzy/light-headed!

I presume what you can taste is the fruity taste of acetone which is excreted when ketones are broken down and I think is smelt on the breath of those fasting or some diabetics (uncontrolled?)?

I've never done it as extremely as that ie induced ketosis as I still ate pulses and beans, and  some root veg - but apparently it can have some effect even if carb containing foods are not completely eliminated. Although I'm still pretty low carb I have gone back to eating more - specifically oats for breakfast as I have high cholesterol.

Glad you are feeling calmed as a result - I'm all for using diet to improve health and well-being :)

Hurdity x

CLKD:
I read that as 'catatonic'  ::)

dangermouse:
I think I was following that one before CLKD!

It is interesting how many keto diets there are out there. Atkins (first phase) of course being the most well known.

Oestrogen highs also seem to have really increased my fat cells (in the pregnancy areas) so it will be interesting to see if that can be reversed or if once it's there, it's there. Breast feeding made my sister 2 dress sizes smaller compared to pre-babies and, as this is also a temporary high hormone state, it does appear to be a possibility.

Hurdity:
I've just realised that I have never given up fruit which is banned on that diet due to the sugars - even though they are fruit sugar mainly! Fruit is my snack of choice and we have abundant apples and blackberries around here so I eat them stewed usually daily (without sugar of course  ::) ).

Have you given up all fruit completely dangermouse?

Hurdity x

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version