Menopause Discussion > Alternative Therapies

Benefits of yoga or Pilates

<< < (2/5) > >>

Katejo:

--- Quote from: CLKD on March 16, 2017, 08:27:59 PM ---Any exercise is good.  We are built to walk/run but Life style means that we often don't do enough.  One can do exercise alone but the benefit of joining a group is the stimulation of conversation and exchanging ideas.  Does your local Council organise walk for health guided walks, ours does 2 a week.  For about 45-60 mins. then the group has a cuppa at the end.  I joined a swimming group but never went so that was a waste of £50.00. I also have a treadmill ...........  :-X

Brisk walking several times a week is good.  Cycling.  Many years++ ago my boss advocated yoga and we thought he was 'way out'  ::).   But it's such an age-old relaxation therapy that it must be beneficial as long as one doesn't try to do the Lotus position straight off ;-).  I know nowt about pilates other than it's an exercise regime, how about ballet?  You would have good supervision and advice.

Most exercises can be done at home, either after doing a beginners course/class or by buying videos etc..  It depends on whether someone wants company or prefers to exercise alone.  I'm spontaneous so that I would tend to put my walking boots on, grab a coat and set off !

--- End quote ---
Walking isn't a problem. I  really enjoy it and do that frequently. I have just spent a long weekend on a walking holiday in the North Yorkshire Moors National Park. I also belong to a walking group in London. However i have a problem with tight calves/ankles/balls of feet  which might benefit from yoga.

Katejo:

--- Quote from: CLKD on March 16, 2017, 08:34:02 PM ---Tai 'chi was the other idea, quite calming in an ordered kind of way apparently.  Let us know what you decide?

--- End quote ---
I did briefly  try Tai 'chi on one weekend break but didn't enjoy that much either.

i have seen health walks advertised but only mon to Fri so no good for me.

flutterby:
I've been doing trigger point Pilates for 30 mins then yoga for bad backs for 30 minutes once a week, I enjoy it probably a bit soon to tell how well it is working yet. The only drawback is the night after the class I sleep really badly, cannot understand why.
I can relate to your comment about finding them tedious, Katejo that's why the 30 minutes sessions are good. A yoga weekend even interspersed with some walking would be my idea of hell. Flutterbyx

Katejo:

--- Quote from: flutterby on March 16, 2017, 09:16:44 PM ---I've been doing trigger point Pilates for 30 mins then yoga for bad backs for 30 minutes once a week, I enjoy it probably a bit soon to tell how well it is working yet. The only drawback is the night after the class I sleep really badly, cannot understand why.
I can relate to your comment about finding them tedious, Katejo that's why the 30 minutes sessions are good. A yoga weekend even interspersed with some walking would be my idea of hell. Flutterbyx

--- End quote ---
Many years ago I attended a yoga course which had 2 hour lessons! The first hour was on standing poses and the 2nd on sitting/lying poses. The time went on and on..... ;D

walking the dog:
Oh sparkle it all sounds lovely. I have been practicing mindfulness for six month to help with my anxiety and have found it very helpful. In fact when i was in the anti theatre room waiting for my hysterectomy I used it then and it calmed me.
Age concern do tai chi classes not far from.me , I may pop in and give it a,go

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version