Menopause Discussion > Alternative Therapies

Benefits of yoga or Pilates

(1/5) > >>

Katejo:
I am thinking of having another go at one of these to reduce stiffness/tight muscles. My problem is that I find both pretty tedious and have never managed to keep going long enough to see any significant improvement despite several attempts over quite a few years. I quite like the relaxation part at the end but don't enjoy the exercises at all. I always feel that others are doing better than I am. I know that i shouldn't compare but it is hard to resist!  :D
I am wondering whether it would be better to pay for a fixed length course rather than just going to a local authority centre. Alternatively i could treat myself to a part yoga/part walking weekend to see if a different environment might help.

What benefits have MM members had from yoga?

CLKD:
Any exercise is good.  We are built to walk/run but Life style means that we often don't do enough.  One can do exercise alone but the benefit of joining a group is the stimulation of conversation and exchanging ideas.  Does your local Council organise walk for health guided walks, ours does 2 a week.  For about 45-60 mins. then the group has a cuppa at the end.  I joined a swimming group but never went so that was a waste of £50.00. I also have a treadmill ...........  :-X

Brisk walking several times a week is good.  Cycling.  Many years++ ago my boss advocated yoga and we thought he was 'way out'  ::).   But it's such an age-old relaxation therapy that it must be beneficial as long as one doesn't try to do the Lotus position straight off ;-).  I know nowt about pilates other than it's an exercise regime, how about ballet?  You would have good supervision and advice.

Most exercises can be done at home, either after doing a beginners course/class or by buying videos etc..  It depends on whether someone wants company or prefers to exercise alone.  I'm spontaneous so that I would tend to put my walking boots on, grab a coat and set off !

Elizabethrose:
Just signed up for a Pilates class Katejo, need to get cracking. I've never done it either, only ballet, jazz and Californian stretch so a very different pace to my previous experience. However, that was in a different life: these bones need exercising!

My daughter loves both and finds them very mentally therapeutic!

CLKD:
Tai 'chi was the other idea, quite calming in an ordered kind of way apparently.  Let us know what you decide?

walking the dog:
Cant wait to get back to Pilates after my recent hysterectomy. I find it totally relaxing as I have to concentrate on the exercises and I do feel much better afterwards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version