Menopause Discussion > Alternative Therapies

Any thoughts on Homeopathy

<< < (7/10) > >>

Dana:
People are entitled to try and use whatever they want. It is also up to them to spend whatever money they think is appropriate.

What I have an issue with is the often incorrect "scientifically proven" information a lot of these products post on their websites. Sometimes practitioners actively discourage people from using medications and seeking medical advice, even when they have a serious health condition and they really need to be using something that has proven effectiveness.

So many people these days have this conspiracy theory mentality towards doctors and "big pharma", yet without big pharma we wouldn't be enjoying the high standard of health and longevity we have now.

From my point view, having spent thousands of dollars on alternative remedies for menopause, and only being worse off, I will support doctors and big pharma over alternate stuff any day of the week, but each to their own.

bramble:
Betty boo said her doctor had prescribed it so it is coming from a reputable source. It is interesting that homeopathy is more popular in France. Over here it is quite rare to find a nhs gp who does both.

Bramble

Taz2:
My old GP was wonderful and was also a well respected, practising homeopathist so he would always offer homeopathy to patients. However, he always said that once I hit menopause then he felt that only HRT would help as he had no success with prescribing homeopathic treatments to combat flushes, VA etc.

Taz x

CLKD:
Well - how would that work: would need to be tracked throughout menstruating life-span and as many ladies become unstable during peri  ::) - my Gran was 'put away' due to what I believe was post natal depression  :-\ but I don't know how she coped with menopause  :-\.  My mood swings would have been difficult to 'assess' and my constitution varies depending on my mood  ::)

dangermouse:
There really is something in all this.

I took a 30c Arnica this morning as I bruised my hand (hormones have definitely made me mis-judge my spatial awareness!) and, exactly like the last 2 times, I went all flu-like by the afternoon, sneezing, temp up, inflamed sinuses. i've put this down to Arnica ramping up the immune system, as I'm one of those mad people who think germs are around us all the time and colds only happen when our immune system has been suppressed and it then gets the energy back to deal with the germs.

Anyway, as one of my clients swears by homeopathy for all medical issues, and a homeopathic doctor actually un-breached her baby in a couple of minutes with a special remedy, I thought I would give it some proper research for my hormonal imbalance.

I'm doing so much better with progesterone for part of the cycle but I still have a constant nausea/dizziness migraine (since 18 months ago) that waxes and wanes, depending on how high my oestrogen is surging.

I came across Sepia (which I had in my Ainsworth first-aid kit) and took that this afternoon as it mentioned hormone imbalance and a full paragraph on my sluggishness that I could have written myself. Since early evening I have felt strangely chirpy and energised. The usual low-ebb anxiety has completely vanished and I feel a sense of balance and lightness that hasn't accompanied my wonderful moments of motivation I've had since being on the prog cream. It feels a bit like a depression has lifted even though my anxiety felt too strong, even now toned down, for me to fall into a low of a depression.

I've since done some more reading and have seen that Sepia is, indeed, a good remedy for depression, particularly with women and when linked to hormones. I've also checked out the Sepia personality which is strangely very 'me' (fiercely independent, creative, free spirit etc.) and then the bad stuff that comes out when we aren't allowed to be ourselves, anti-social, frozen to the spot laziness, irritable etc. I have no idea yet if this is placebo as it will, of course, play a part of the response, however, this state of mind is very different to what I expected (if anything) and only time and more Sepia will tell!

I also got to reading about how menopause, like PMT, is meant to disturb us into taking action and making drastic changes in our lives which I've always enjoyed thinking about. It was interesting that I went through a period of trying to escape from my last job and after I 'escaped', I was ecstatic for a few months and then got struck down with the hormonal migraines that devastated my life for a few months (bed bound pretty much due to extreme nausea and docs mis-diagnoses) until I worked out they were in sync with my cycle. The pill was my saviour in suppressing my cycle and since coming off to try other options the severity has only re-occurred for a day or two at ovulation.

Anyway, forgive the ramble, but just wanted to share about the homeopathy. I shall report back to say if was short-lived or something life-changing. You never know!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version