Menopause Discussion > Alternative Therapies

Has anyone tried Macafem, a natural aid for Menopausal Symptoms

<< < (2/6) > >>

Meg:
I have not tried Maca but was researching it on the internet, out of desperation I think.  The thing is that some of the alternatives, for me anyway, are way too expensive and that is one main reason why I have not been able to try some.

Meg

dogdoc:
I'm going to give it rave reviews but with a caveat.

I've been on Maca for 4 months and have gone from a total mess to almost ( almost) a completely  normal human being. I'm perimenopausal, not in full menopause and I've been taking NOW bring Maca ( 1000mg once daily in the morning). The caveat is that peri is a roller coaster and there is a possibility that i'd be feeling better even without Maca, but it was definitely coincidental timing. And given that the three years!!! before going on the maca were absolute HELL I don't know if I believe the Maca isn't responsible.

I've gone from sleeping 3-4 hours a night to sleeping a solid 8 ( almost narcoleptic lol, but I'll take it). Hot flashes have diminished from continuous leading up to a period to an occasional full one, or several mild flutters almost only early in the morning. Ovulation is still pretty bad with the arrhythmia, but better.
But most importantly my energy level, and mood has changed completely for the better. I get a little PMS, but I haven't cried in 4 months and THAT is a small miracle. Anxiety and panic attacks about 95% better.

From the research I've done ( pubmed, journal articles) there seems to be a very low risk profile, no shown side effects HOWEVER the longest study I saw was for a year i think...maybe six months. So for all I know I'm killing my liver etc etc etc. I may regret taking it later, but for now ....totally worth it!!

dogdoc:
Just keeping up with the research.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25097281

For those who are interested but not really science nerdy, this ( very short and very small) study showed that the rats getting Maca had the same estrogen levels as the rats that still had their ovaries. In this study at least, the Maca increased your OWN estrogen levels and suppressed your own FSH levels.
This acts on the brain itself, unlike many menopausal supplements that act on the estrogen receptors ( they act as 'pretend estrogens').

Small but interesting. :)
Tara

evey:
The product I used was called Femmenessence, I agree with you Dogdoc, it really helped me too when I was peri menapausal.

LoriH:
I took Macafem for 2 months, stopped for a month to determine if it really allowed me to feel better. Definitely yes.. I had more energy and my doctor was impressed with my improvement. I am 60.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version