Menopause Discussion > Alternative Therapies

IBS

<< < (2/5) > >>

Ju Ju:
Drinking plenty is so important, regardless of what's wrong. I get a headache if I'm dehydrated. I avoid caffeine. Drinking enough paid off this week. I had a hysterectomy and repair done on Monday and only needed to stay one night! I drank reasonably as normally, not overdoing it and managed the required 3 wees, whethas the lady opposite, who said she felt she didn't drink enough, was unable to do that requirement in time. I have the tendency to get constipation, so I am very conscious what a difference it can make.

CLKD:
The other product that I find useful when the gut is upset is LIVE (Greek) yoghurt - eaten often for 3-5 days usually eases symptoms. 

Briony:
Wow! Thank you so much for these great replies. They are really helpful and I will most certainly take your advice.

I havent changed anything in my diet and already eat loads of fruit and veg daily (life long vegetarian) so cant work out why I'm so bloated and constipated. I usually go twice a day but it's only been a few times a week for the past five weeks  :-\ This really, really worries me , yet GP wasnt that phased by it. I'm petrified it's something sinister (why do I always think the worst?). I wish there was a single test for IBS so I could then at least focus on remedies without googling things like ovarian cancer! (The pain is quite period-pain like, but GP thinks it's bowels).

I drink a lot every day, at least a drink an hour, but will definitely try more water rather than caffeine. I will also try the peppermint oil suggestion. CKLD - I took Motilium ages ago and it really helped my sickness at the time, but then I heard it was no longer available OTC because of links to heart issues? Anyone know if this is true?

Thanks again, all of you. Really appreciated, B    :)

For info:

http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg61/chapter/1-recommendations

Briony:

--- Quote from: sparkle on December 03, 2015, 01:13:03 PM ---Ju Ju - so pleased to hear you're back home with the op behind you.  Are you feeling OK?

--- End quote ---

Absolutely!  :foryou:

Kathleen:
Hello again Briony.

There is a stool test that your GP can organise that measures a protein called Calprotectin  and this is being used to diagnose IBS as opposed to inflammatory bowel disease. I think you can arrange this privately for about twenty pounds.
Hope this helps and wishing you well.

Ju Ju  Glad you hear that you are doing well.

Best wishes everyone.

K.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version