Menopause Discussion > Alternative Therapies

BBC 1 'Doctor in the House' - Menopause

(1/3) > >>

Jenna:
In last night's episode, the doctor stayed with a family where the husband suffered from Type 2 Diabetes and his wife had stress and menopausal symptoms, but did not want to take HRT. Interesting to see what was prescribed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06q6y95/doctor-in-the-house-episode-1

CLKD:
In hindsight, I thought it a very wishy washy programme  :-\ - the basis of the idea is good.  However: the viewer wasn't told if the Family GP was on board; we weren't told if the scan which the husband went for was done privately or is available on the NHS; there weren't time lines for the various blood tests taken, nor were we told if they were NHS or Privately screened; acupuncture was shown but the viewer wasn't informed as to how many sessions she went for, nor how long they took ……..

Apparently the meno symptoms eased; however, the Doctor had suggested a complaint over-haul of their fridge and eating habits  ::) ………. he did point out that his suggestions, i.e. acupuncture had no proven basis and I liked his attitude.  The attitude of the husband though  :-\ ………… I think that if I started walking quickly between the houses down here, the Yellow Van would arrive  ;D …….. but it was a good idea to give a starting point for regular exercising - which I don't' do enough
of  :-\.

Wonder who his target will be next week?  I did see the 'other side' similar programme with Dr Xand (as stated in the TV Programmes thread) which was more detailed.

Hurdity:
I haven't seen the programme but will have a look when I have time so no idea what was prescribed! Was it acupuncture? If so presumably as a relaxation therapy?

It is vital that those who are unable to take HRT due to breast cancer or other medical contra-indications are able to have some relief for menopausal symptoms - why should they suffer when the rest of us do not have to? This is why it's so important for anything alternative to HRT ( and by that I mean everything from CBT, to ADs, herbal treatements and all) to be tried and tested properly - and particularly because anything these women may take must not worsen their condition.

Hurdity x

CLKD:
Do have a look on 'catch up'.  The programme tried to cram too many ideas into an hour so the viewer wasn't informed, the therapist put acupuncture needles into the lady's feet and ankles then removed them but we weren't told how long the needles remained in situ  ::)

If I remember I'll be watching next week's episode  ::)

bramble:
We have to accept that programmes made for 'entertainment' will not be as good  in imparting deep knowledge as those made in the documentary style. As an 'enjoy and learn' type programme I thought it made quite a good fist of not coming across as too preachy but still imparting basic knowledge that people who were interested enough, could build on. But I did think that in the first programme where the chap drank a lot, they missed a trick by not breathalysing him in the mornings after. . That I think would have been just as useful a lesson.

Bramble

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version