Menopause Discussion > Alternative Therapies

Progesterone cream undergoing trials

<< < (2/4) > >>

Hurdity:

--- Quote from: Prajna on November 17, 2015, 04:04:36 PM ---
--- Quote from: Hurdity on November 17, 2015, 03:57:55 PM ---The latest article Prajna is an American one produced by supporters of progesterone cream
--- End quote ---

This is incorrect Hurdity.  Please read this link from the same website.

http://www.smart-publications.com/about-us/

--- End quote ---

Eh? The site is based in America and the article is definitely American - the bit you quoted talks about dollars and the FDA, and when I read it right next to the article there was a pot of the cream for sale with the price in dollars! Also the site is sponsored by the various products they sell but there is no disclaimer stating that they do not endorse the products sold (as there is on this site for example). That counts as support in my book!

My main point was specifically relating to the US side of things because of the different system over there and contrasting with UK - we can get "natural hormones" on NHS.

Hurdity x

Hurdity:

--- Quote from: ancient runner on November 17, 2015, 04:13:42 PM ---Am I being thick here? What's the difference between "natural oestrogen" and "natural progesterone" and HRT? Genuinely puzzled.

--- End quote ---

Not at all thick ancient runner!!! It is very confusing especially because this terminology is not normally used in UK and maybe not even in America any more.

The "natural hormones" referred to in the extract that Prajna quoted are what are now termed "bio-identical" hormones and even that is confusing because as I said in my earlier comment, in US there are many private practitioners prescribing "bio-identical hormone replacment therapy" or BHRT - but this is not commonplace in UK. The article sounds dated to me because it is still using this term (ie natural hormones) - on this forum and in medicine the terms bio-identical or body-identical are generally used with "natural" in inverted commas!

So "natural" HRT consists of what know as estradiol (most HRT contains this except for the Premarin/Premique types) and progesterone (marketed as utrogestan) - all available on our wonderful  NHS (even with all its faults!).

None of it is natural in that it all has to be synthesised in the lab - from soy and yam originally. In fact the horse pee stuff is more natural - but it's not natural to us ie the oestrogens are a mixture only one of which is estradiol.

We have discussed this many times before - has this clarified anicent runner?! :)

Hurdity x

Limpy:

--- Quote from: Hurdity on November 17, 2015, 07:38:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: ancient runner on November 17, 2015, 04:13:42 PM ---Am I being thick here? What's the difference between "natural oestrogen" and "natural progesterone" and HRT? Genuinely puzzled.

--- End quote ---

Not at all thick ancient runner!!! It is very confusing especially because this terminology is not normally used in UK and maybe not even in America any more.

The "natural hormones" referred to in the extract that Prajna quoted are what are now termed "bio-identical" hormones and even that is confusing because as I said in my earlier comment, in US there are many private practitioners prescribing "bio-identical hormone replacment therapy" or BHRT - but this is not commonplace in UK. The article sounds dated to me because it is still using this term (ie natural hormones) - on this forum and in medicine the terms bio-identical or body-identical are generally used with "natural" in inverted commas!

So "natural" HRT consists of what know as estradiol (most HRT contains this except for the Premarin/Premique types) and progesterone (marketed as utrogestan) - all available on our wonderful  NHS (even with all its faults!).

None of it is natural in that it all has to be synthesised in the lab - from soy and yam originally. In fact the horse pee stuff is more natural - but it's not natural to us ie the oestrogens are a mixture only one of which is estradiol.

We have discussed this many times before - has this clarified anicent runner?! :)

Hurdity x

--- End quote ---

Like Ancient Runner I'm confused.

To me "bio-identical" doesn't help much.

To me a hormone is a chemical.
Are we just talking about different chemicals here?

honeybun:
Unless it's plucked from a hedgerow. ,,,, :-\

If it's made in a laboratory then no matter what slant we choose to put on it then it's a chemical...made by....chemists. ::)

Honeybun
X

honeybun:
No.....surely not.

;D

Honeybun
X

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version