Menopause Discussion > Alternative Therapies

Has Black Cohosh or Red Clover helped sweats?

<< < (2/7) > >>

honeybun:
You have to go to your GP for HRT. You can't use oestrogen without progesterone unless you have had a hysterectomy.
If you have a look and read on the various options at the top of the page then that will help you get to grips on what's on offer. It's best to be clued up before you visit your GP.

Honeybun
X

Dana:

--- Quote from: Jaki T on October 03, 2015, 09:49:35 PM ---Many thanks, DG.

I am in my mid-50s and my periods have become more erratic but have not finished yet. I have fibromyalgia which makes it difficult to disentangle what it menopausal and what it FM.  I am averse to HRT because although I know they are known as bio identical they are still made in the lab with certain risks. I know they're not as extreme as the contraceptive pill but I had such an awful reaction to this and very high blood pressure, I don't want to risk anything approximating it, especially as my blood pressure was a bit elevated last time it was measured.:(

But it maybe I will try the gel as Mary suggested if I don't have any joy with other methods. The compound that I have bought does mention oestrogen like ingredients.

--- End quote ---

The thing that you need to consider is that ALL meds (including the so-called "natural" ones") are all made in a lab. The only difference is that the regulated HRT that you get from a doctor has been thoroughly tested and approved for a specific use. All those other "natural" and alternative remedies have not had the same amount of testing, and could have all sorts of unknown additives. Also, just because something is grown in nature, idoesn't make it will be completely safe for us to consume. Some of these alternate remedies can have serious side effects.

In all honesty, the only "natural" way to treat menopause symptoms is with the approved HRT that you get from your doctor.

Dancinggirl:
Jaki T - Dana is absolutely right. It is precisely because the HRT preparations, available here in the UK, are produced in the lab and only available with prescription, that they are safer than the compounded hormones that are available in the USA. Compounded hormones are not usually regulated so the risks are greater.
It is well worth reading up all the info on this site to get really clued up. There are many misconceptions about remedies as opposed to prescribed HRT - after all something that is prescribed has been extensively tested so risks and benefits are well known.  Yes, there can be some side effects with HRT and if you have suffered badly with BCP (birth control pills) in the past I can understand your anxiety.  How you approach coping with the menopause I think depends on 'quality of life' - if your meno symptoms are limiting you life and if appropriate diet, exercise and sensible vitamin supplements are not truly helping, then HRT is an option worth trying.

I would suggest you print off some info from this site, try to find out which GP at your practise is clued up about the meno and make an appointment to discuss things.  If there is a meno clinic in your area ask to referral for advice.

We really understand about the anxieties that many women have regarding HRT with so many scares stories in the press but do bare in mind that apparently 5 years of HRT in our 50s can protect against osteoporosis, heart disease, and even reduce our risk of bowel cancer in the long term.  Using HRT is very much a personal choice but this site is here to educated and support women through this often very challenging time in our lives. Taboo and misinformation can get in the way of a positive way forward.   Keep posting DG x

Jaki T:
Hi - thanks for all your replies.  Yes, I am aware about the testing and the risk of taking those remedies that are 'natural'.  DG you hit the nail on the head here: There are many misconceptions about remedies as opposed to prescribed HRT - after all something that is prescribed has been extensively tested so risks and benefits are well known.  Yes, there can be some side effects with HRT and if you have suffered badly with BCP (birth control pills) in the past I can understand your anxiety.   And that is the issue. For me it's not so much misinformation or scare stories, it's past experience. No matter how great or little the risks there is nothing so reliable as one's previous experience and when I was on the contraceptive pill my blood pressure went through the roof and I really felt if I continued I would have a blood clot. I felt I had a lucky escape.  My BP took a long time to go down too, even after I stopped taking it.  It was top end of normal before I took it.  So although it may prevent some against heart disease I have been burnt I'm afraid. However a gel might be very much diluted so I won't rule that out.  I am seeing my GP tomorrow so can mention it again.  Or maybe she has some other suggestions.  The 'natural' oestrogen I was referring to contains red clover and phyto oestrogens. I've not heard any adverse affects to Red Clover (unlike Black Cohosh where there has been some research and rare negative reporting) but that's not to say there are none. x

CLKD:
Thanks Dana  :foryou:

Foxgloves are natural ……….. (digitalis)  ;)

Some people find that 'herbal/alternative' remedies help but when their hormones overwhelm them the effect is lost.

"progesterone cream ….. "  via your GP?  some HRT has to be used on a regular basis to gain good effect.  I certainly know if I don't use my VA treatment often enough  ::)

Scare stories in the Press are often that: scaring.  Because the Press pull out what they want to sell papers with and the research can be years old!  >:(  Also: there's that proverbial bus round the corner  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version