Menopause Discussion > Alternative Therapies

Has Black Cohosh or Red Clover helped sweats?

(1/7) > >>

Jaki T:
Hi there

I'm new to this forum but I have tried so much for my sweats with little success  :(

I don't want to take HRT, although I have tried progesterone cream to little avail and also see there are scare stories for this also.  I want to try and take something natural but I am afraid to take Black Cohosh because of the rare reports of liver toxicity.  I have now bought a product containing red clover which was recommended to me, though not started taking it yet. 

I sweat and need to change clothes several times a day.  It is really debilitating. It's not a hot sweat - just sweating so that my clothes are wringing.  :(

Other members experiences welcome  :)

TIA

Mary G:
Welcome Jaki T!  Sorry to hear about your sweating problem but that is exactly what I had when my oestrogen levels became too low.  I never had hot flushes but used to sweat more and in lower temperatures than before, it was like my internal thermostat was not working.  If I became hot and then moved to an air conditioned room, I would sweat badly. 

Can't help you with the natural remedies but I can tell you that oestrogen gel completely cured the sweating problem almost overnight.  Prior to the gel, I spent a short spell on Angeliq which was not strong enough and made no difference to the sweating at all - it contained too much progesterone that was suppressing the oestrogen.  I then had a blood test to check my oestrogen levels, it became apparent that they were still far too low so no wonder the Angeliq was not working.

Now I am on the oestrogen gel I feel the same as I did at 30 (I'm 54) so in other words, back to normal.  If the natural remedies do not work out, give the gel a try, it changed my life!

Dancinggirl:
Hi and welcome to Jaki T
Sorry to hear you are struggling with meno symptoms - many of us on MM will sympathise.
Some find Red Clover can help if symptoms are mild so it is worth trying.
Sadly I can't recommend any of the 'so called' remedies as I have tried just about everything with no benefit.
I'm afraid HRT is the only 'natural' way to control the flushes and sweats - most HRTs now contain bio identical oestrogen so this is simply replacing what your body would produce naturally. The progesterone cream is expensive and is not deemed strong enough to really do that much.  As Mary has suggested it is actually oestrogen that will help the flushes and if you have a uterus (womb) then you need to have opposing progesterone to keep the womb lining from building up - there are different types and ways of using HRT so it's worth finding out more to see if it might be an option for you. Sadly nobody can tell you how long the flushes etc will last and quality of life is important.
Do tell us more about yourself - your age and where you are in the your menopause journey?  Why are you so against HRT?
Do read up all the info on this site to get really clued up and get back to us with questions.  DG x

Jaki T:
Hi Mary

Many thanks. Yes that's what I'm always saying my body thermostat is broken too! Thanks for recommending the oestrogen gel.  Do I get it online or from my GP?  As I say I have been nervous about oestrogen replacements because of bad reactions in the past.

Jaki T:
Many thanks, DG.

I am in my mid-50s and my periods have become more erratic but have not finished yet. I have fibromyalgia which makes it difficult to disentangle what it menopausal and what it FM.  I am averse to HRT because although I know they are known as bio identical they are still made in the lab with certain risks. I know they're not as extreme as the contraceptive pill but I had such an awful reaction to this and very high blood pressure, I don't want to risk anything approximating it, especially as my blood pressure was a bit elevated last time it was measured.:(

But it maybe I will try the gel as Mary suggested if I don't have any joy with other methods. The compound that I have bought does mention oestrogen like ingredients.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version