Menopause Discussion > Alternative Therapies

Natural alternatives to vagifem?

(1/5) > >>

spookstreet:
I've been prescribed vagifem pessaries for 'mild' vaginal atrophy but I generally react badly to pharmaceuticals (still recovering from the antibiotics I was prescribed for a UTI, which resulted in it taking a couple of months for the vaginal atrophy to even be diagnosed) and I'd like, if possible, to try something more natural in the first instance. My current thinking is Balance Activ Moisture Plus pessaries, moving on to Regelle, which I gather I can get on prescription; plus sea buckthorn oil capsules taken orally.

Has anyone had experience of such an approach, or something similar?

And if I end up having to go down the vagifem route, does anyone know if the suggested 3-month course is likely to sort it 'permanently'? I'm not keen on the idea of doing the 3 months and then finding I have to use it forever!

I'm not in a sexual relationship at the moment so at least that side of things isn't currently an issue!  :)

Hurdity:
Hi spookstreet

:welcomemm:

I haven't any experience of the alternatives but I know others have had so I'm sure they will be along to help you.

However just to say that really the only thing that actually "cures" vaginal atrohpy is local oestrogen and it has to be taken permanently to prevent the condition from returning as it is due to oestrogen deficiency.

There is some information on this site about it here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/dryness.php

and here
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/vaginalresources.php

and an article here which includes a survey:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-vaginal-atrophy.php

Many of us take HRT as well as vaginal oestrogen and it is really OK to use it long term. I understand your concern about pharmaceuticals but the active ingredient is estradiol which is bi-identical oestrogen ie the same as in our bodies. The only thing is some people are sensitive to the fillers - but this is very unusual. You soon get used to using it twice a week and it being part of your routine. The other alternative is estriol cream (Ovestin or Gynest) but this is messier - but also perhaps gives more lubrication ie makes things moister as well as acting on the vaginal tissues to plump them up.

Some women use local oestrogen (regularly) in conjunction with other products on the market - for sex, when additional lubrication might be needed. I've been using some form of local oestorgen probably for nearly 10 years and everything is fine down there. You can't get more natural than something that's the same as your own oestrogen, and even the other natural products you mention will also have a base or fillers from which they are made.

Hope this helps!

Hurdity x

spookstreet:
Many thanks for your reply, Hurdity - not only informative but very reassuring! After a rather bad night and a suspicion that another UTI is brewing, I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start on the vagifem after all ...

Who'd have a body?  :)

Jenna:
Hi - was your urine sent to the lab for testing to confirm that you had an infection? With VA it can feel as if you have a UTI when you don't actually have one.

You might like to have a look at the 'Yes' website - they have a water-based vaginal moisturiser, which is hypoallergenic and very gentle. This is also available on prescription. I use it on the days I don't use an oestrogen cream (Estriol), just to keep comfortable, but I have also used it for several months when not using the oestrogen. Worth a try maybe if you don't want to use Vagifem!

CLKD:
Use the product?  DH and I were discussing alternatives at breakfast by our pond this morning.  It does depend on the product.  Sometimes the active ingredient is so small it would be impossible to administer without 'packaging' i.e. tablet or capsule around the drug component.  The packaging can be made of various products and sometimes contains lactose.  It is rarely the medication that the person has reaction to but may well be the packaging!

Local oestrogen needs to be used regularly to keep the vaginal tissue well plumped or symptoms will recur. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version