Menopause Discussion > Alternative Therapies

Red Clover Complex or Black Cohosh

(1/3) > >>

Dalhousie:
I'm taking Red Clover complex & have been since the onset of menopause hot flash symptoms just over a year ago.  The Red Clover worked well for about 8 months but is less effective now.  I wonder whether your body gets used to it after a while.  I was wondering whether to try Black Cohosh.  Is one of these things more popular on here than the other?  Or any other comments about it.

Thanks.

CLKD:
Have you read the menus, left of screen?  Sometimes the body reacts to 'alternative' medicine but if it worked it would be on the NHS  ;)

Also, some alternatives need to be taken with care!

How are you otherwise?

Dancinggirl:
Hi Dalhousie
I'm afraid I've never found that any herbal remedies work. The Red Clover probably seemed to work at the start of your meno because you were still producing some oestrogen but once the oestrogen levels really dropped the meno symptoms emerged more strongly. As CLKD says, if these remedies worked then they would be prescribed on the NHS. I think these remedies seem to work for those lucky women who don't actually get many meno symptoms.
AS CLKD has said, do be careful about herbal or any alternative remedy as they can have side effects and negative interactions.
Unless there are good reasons why you can't have HRT then HRT is the only true NATURAL way to control meno symptoms. Taking HRT is a very personal decision and will depend on how badly the symptoms are effecting your life.
I personally think a good diet with some extra Omaga 3 oils and possibly a good multi vitamin is the best way to go if you want to ride the meno storm.  If you can pace yourself, avoid stress, eat well and take lots of brisk walks then this will probably do more to control your symptoms than any remedies. You may be lucky and find your meno symptoms settle down quite quickly over the next year or two.
I wouldn't spend too much on remedies - perhaps save your money and take a holiday?
DG x

Hurdity:
Hi Dalhousie

Thereis information on Black Cohosh on this site including summaries of studies:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/oestrogens.php

A study in 2006 showed no effect on hot flushes
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/newsitem.php?recordID=39

and another in 2009 including black cohosh or red clover - also showing no or minimal effect:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/newsitem.php?recordID=85

There have been safety concerns re the use of Black Cohosh long term and possible effect on the liver which is discussed in the link above on this site. It used to be recommended not to take for longer than 6 months.

I used it while in peri-menopause - and I thought it worked for me initially - but after a while it didn't. The reason for this is probably that my body's own oestrogen increased ( as I was in peri) so the flushes stopped - I thought it was the Cohosh but it wasn't. Once my oestrogen had dropped for longer, and permanently - the flushes came back and stayed there until I replaced the oestrogen as HRT. I ended up throwing away most of a very expensive pot of the capsules!

Evidence gained so far shows that any effect therefore is either due to placebo, or due to the body's pown fluctuations.

Many products are marketed and sold especially during peri-menopause - and I would so if they are harmless and cheap then no problem - but not to be under any illusion about their objective effectiveness!!

Hope that doesn't sound too depressing - but you did ask!

Hurdity x

CLKD:
 :thankyou:  Hurdity.  I have been lucky so far.  Various parts of me itched, i.e. insteps after a bath as well as down my back ...... this went after 2/3 years.  No hot flushes thank goodness apart from at the same time as my back itched ........

Until the razor blades up the vagina episode 12 months ago I was getting along quite OK ........ so had to seek advice and the GP was good at prescribing something that eased symptoms.  PHEW!  It is Trial and Error .........

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version