General Discussion > New Members

Hi all---On vagifem for 7 years

(1/2) > >>

Susza:
I have been using this since i was 47 my menopause was at 49, it has been a great help for vaginal atrophy but after 7 years the effect is not so great. it has been suggested i take Femseven conti instead or increase the vagifem dose to beyond the standard dose, my only problem is that i have terrible migraines and do not want to increase these as they are fewer now.

Doe anyone who has had migraines before the menopause feel that they get worse with a HRT patch?

CLKD:
If you do a 'search' for SuziQ's very good threads on Vaginal Atrophy .........

:welcomemm:

Hurdity:
Hi Susza - have just seen your Q and question on migraines.

They should be less on patch HRT than pill - which is what you have been offered. The effect of HRT varies depending on the individual. eg some women get migraines from the synthetic progestogens used in the HRT - in your case you have been offered a conti HRT as you are well post-meno so you wouldn;t know what you reacted to if you did get migraines.

Other women get migraines during the progesterone withdrawal phase of combined cyclical HRT - just like before a normal period.

Were your migraines linked to part of your cycle ie just before your period, or any time during the two weeks before your period? If pre-menstrual only then if you choose the right progesterone you may be lucky and avoid them, if youkeep this continuous.

Or you could either try a cycle again - and use Femseven sequi - to see if you are OK on the combi-patches and that progestogen - but you may get a migraine when you go back onto the oestrogen only patches (ie the prog withdrawal)

Or you could try a patch of oestrogen only and use bio-identcial progesterone - Utrogestan - and either start off with a cycle and see what happens or just use it continuously. Some women do find it makes them tired though.

Hope this helps and is not too confusing - sometimes I am a bit garbled I think!

Hurdity x

Susza:
Thanks Hurdity, for all this information!

My migraines were often linked to my cycle, coming before or just after a period. Post-meno they would continue and also seemed to occur around the same time each month ---I kept a diary. Now aged 56 they are less severe, but they can be still frightening as I awake early and start vomiting and do not stop for 4-5 hrs---fortunately I take Ondansetron (sp?), which I buy privately in the USA, an oral melting tablet that stops you vomiting and triptans (sp?)available on the NHS ---these help but they put me out of action for 48 hrs. The migraine took a toll on my oesophagus before I got the right medication. They continued after my periods stopped ---and at that stage only my GP thought I might have a brain tremor, which I did not!!

So I have a lot of anxiety about even experimenting with HRT, I feel from reading this site there are many different responses to the various HRTs available. My new (young male) GP thought I should take a HRT with progesterone which he perceived as better than an HRT without it. The GP who though I might have a brain tumour thought one should never mess with hormones...

Limpy:
Hi Susza

I am on Evorel Conti - patches with oestrogen & progesterone.
Migraines are a lot less with Evorel than they were prior to the patches.
They still happen, but not a total wipe out.
Half a day usually, one day max.
Even then I can function......... ish

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version